Bars

In 2002, Dutch designers Viktor & Rolf asked me to come up with names for 13 dresses they had designed for their fall collection. I decided to do names that were as weird and improbable as the era that was emerging. Viktor and Rolf are stunning designers and they occupy and define that wonderful and improbable yet deeply necessary territory of fashion where complex yet ephemeral ideas emerge and vanish and mutate and re-emerge. People like to think that fashion is silly or frivolous, but people like these are never, well …very fashionable, and they don’t quite understand that culture plays itself out loudly and colorfully and wonderfully on so many other levels than those that finally end up in textbooks 30 years after the fact. Naomi Klein and I disagreed on this point in an essay that appeared in BlackBook Magazine in 2004.

Bars
Bars2

The 13 dress names are composites formed from names of early 1950’s Nevada nuclear test-drops of atomic bombs, random snatches of life in the digital world, and three-letter acronyms germaine to the modern world. They appear above mutant TV test patterns.

Bars

Fun fact: TV test patterns, if completely desaturated, form perfect gray scales.


Bedspread Update

I’ve been informed by friends that for my birthday this year I will be receiving a supply of Bluestar Forensic latent bloodstain reagent which, in conjunction with blacklighting, will be able to detect all sorts of human protein residues on hotel bedspreads … just like on “Law & Order: SVU”! It’s kind of scary how much I am looking forward to it, and it actually makes me want to try staying in bad hotels just to get maximum use out of the system.

Up until now, my best present I ever got was a canister of liquid nitrogen my brother gave me for Christmas 10 years back. We froze everything in the house and then ran out of flash-freezables, so we went outside and flash-froze puddles. Did you know that liquid nitrogen is cheaper than milk? The only thing that’s expensive is the deposit on the canister.

A List of People Who Have Been a Little Under the Radar Lately and Who’ve Been a Little Bit Off the Radar Lately, and Who I’d Really Like to See a Bit More of …

Vaclav Havel

Jodie Foster

Peter O’Toole

Ann-Margret